Road Collage, Performative action, 2013

חפצי-בה טיול בקיבוץ

A Walk in kibbutz Heftzi-bah, 2013

Tuesday 6 August 2013

A Way to Remember was a performative painting with a ritual orientation which was done over a period of 5 days. This kind of work make visible not only the end result, but the process. The body itself – the painter’s body – is made visible together with the painting. The inclusion of my body in the work is significant for it is that same body who visited the place where Samakh was. Even if the town doesn’t exist anymore, the place still exists. Standing there, next to these empty buildings, on the burning asphalt in August, I remembered it through my body, with my senses, the way one listens to the unknown. Perhaps echo of life which ended abruptly still vibrates in this place. In the painting the ‘houses’ as shapes begun to resonate with other similar shapes which are not houses, such as graves or bomb shelters. On reflection, I realized that these structures came from my personal and collective memory. As a young girl I have experienced both the Six Days war (June 1967) and the Yom Kipur war (October 1973). 

No comments:

Post a Comment